Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Believe in fate?

I don't belong to those who believe things, events, matters are pre-ordained in any way. It's more a matter of decision, preparation and thereafter "a dime teetering on its edge" and, through the action of gravity, falling one or the other way.

Talking of dimes (that's an American 10-cent piece), this morning -since I'm in Europe- I found a 5-Eurocent coin on the train seat I was about to drop myself into. Picked it up and placed it on the window tablet, sat down, put on my glasses and -lo and behold!- at first sight perceived a representation of the cathedral of Santiago de Compostella! A Spanish European 5-cent coin, flipped on the correct side to divinely guide me to the portals of that saintly institution.

I wish to explicitly thank my friend Ramón Suarez, who commented "cuidate Pablo" ("take care of yourself, Paul"). I've been resting. Resting to the tune of installing, three days on end, a ceiling at a friend's house. Stepping ad infinitum up and down a ladder, drilling hundreds of wood-screws through the clips of an interclicking ceiling system. But I did not, formally, walk. Didn't feel that tendon, either.

And I bought new shoes. Low ones. I'd noticed I didn't feel a thing (not a thing!) of the tendinitis that made me suffer at each and every step when wearing the high walking boots. Mind you, these high boots are better. But...that's the way with that "on/off" affliction called tendinitis. Many a marathon runner or, I suspect, other athlete, will know exactly what I'm talking about. So, now I have (since the ceiling) done 40+ kilometers in my new "approach shoes" - the name apparently comes from mountaineering, they are supposed to be the kind of shoes mountain climbers wear before they climb the mountain. Ok, ok. The brand is 5.10, the model name "Camp Four". Since these shoes are a tad small for my space-loving feet (toes!), I've had to buy new, lighter, socks. Good for the economy!

Meanwhile my whole body aches. Here, there, everywhere. Reminds me of a phrase overheard in the running club shower room "when you wake up in the morning and you don't feel any pain, it means you're dead".

I don't expect that to be the case during the next few weeks, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment